“Your Local Injury Lawyers Since 1985”


man in suit rising from fall on crosswalk

What To Do When You’re Injured In A Slip And Fall Accident In A Public Place

By: Fred Moore | Oct 18, 2018

Pubic slip and fall accidents often happen when a property owner, business, governmental agency, university or public school fails to properly repair or maintain their property. At Moore Law Firm, our slip and fall accident lawyers have recovered compensation for hundreds of clients who have been injured on public property.

Slip And Fall Accidents And Premises Liability

Slip and fall accident claims are usually based on a legal concept known as premises liability. Regardless of whether it’s a private business or public entity, property owners must exercise reasonable care to make sure that their premises are safe from dangerous conditions. If a person is injured due to the owner’s failure to prevent or repair a dangerous condition, they may be liable for any injuries that occur.

Steps To Take After A Public Slip And Fall Accident

After any accident, it’s important to seek medical attention as soon as you can, even if your injuries seem minor. Many symptoms may not show up until days or weeks later, and documenting your injuries with a health care professional can provide valuable evidence should you decide to file a personal injury claim. If you’ve been seriously injured, call 911 so you can receive the care you need right away.

Report your accident to the person in charge of the property where you fell, and ask to file a formal report. Some businesses and most governmental agencies have policies and notification procedures to follow and forms to complete that will document your accident and injuries. Obtain and keep a copy of the report. If law enforcement responded to your accident, get a copy of the police report as well.

Gather evidence and information. Jot down notes surrounding everything you can remember about the incident. Take photos or videos of the area and your injuries. If there were any witnesses, get their contact information and statements.

Do not speak to the property owner’s insurance company. Whether it’s a private business or a public entity, do not give a statement to or sign anything from their insurance company without speaking to experienced slip and fall accident lawyers first. Insurance companies often try to offer minimal settlement amounts in personal injury claims or may even deny your claim altogether.

Contact A Slip And Fall Accident Attorney

In a slip and fall claim, you must prove that the property owner’s negligence caused your injuries. These types of cases can be multifaceted, especially when a government entity is involved. That’s why it’s essential to seek the counsel of knowledgeable slip and fall accident attorneys who understand the complexity of proving negligence and are experienced in filing personal injury claims against governmental agencies.

It’s important to keep in mind that Alabama has a two-year statute of limitations on claims against private individuals, and businesses, local, state and federal government agencies have strict procedures and deadlines for making personal injury claims, which may limit the amount of damages you’re entitled to receive. Our slip and fall accident lawyers will ensure that your claim is filed in an accurate and timely manner and help you understand the ins and outs of the laws surrounding government negligence.

At Moore Law Firm, our slip and fall accident lawyers can help you recover maximum compensation for your medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering and other damages. Call 251-445-7602 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.