If you or someone you know has had serious complications as a result of having a transvaginal mesh repair then please call a Mobile Alabama
Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit Attorney at Moore Law Firm today.
On July 13, 2011, the Food and Drug Administration issued a public health warning on complications associated with transvaginal mesh placement of surgical mesh for pelvic organ prolapsed (POP) and stress urinary incontinence (SUI). The FDA issued a strongly worded report warning that: (i) Complications related to transvaginal mesh surgery are occurring at a significantly high rate; (ii) There is no evidence that transvaginal mesh repair is more effective than traditional non mesh repair or that it provides any added benefit; and (iii) Transvaginal mesh surgery exposes patients to greater risk than traditional non mesh repair. This is a change from what previous FDA reports. The update states that surgical mesh for TVM repair of POP is an area of “continuing serious concern.”
TRANSVAGINAL MESH/BLADDER SLINGS: WHAT ARE THEY AND WHAT ARE THEY USED FOR?
Transvaginal mesh (TVM) and sling devices are medical devices surgically implanted to repair and reinforce weakened or damaged vaginal tissue, and to treat pelvic organ prolapse (POP) and stress urinary continence (SUI). Surgical repair of SUI can be performed through a vaginal incision by placing a biologic or synthetic “sling” (e.g., surgical mesh) under the urethra to help prevent urinary loss during physical activity.
Other FDA statements and findings released in the July 2011 update include:
- 50% of women who have surgery to remove the TVM continue to have complications and side effects because the mesh is often completely absorbed making the mesh impossible to remove
- Adverse effects continue despite removal of the mesh
- As much as 10% of the mesh may erode within 12 months of surgery
- Incontinence after TVM surgery is more recurrent than with traditional methods
- There is a higher incidence of second surgery following a surgery to implant TVM than any other vaginal surgery
- Complications associated with TVM are not experienced among patients who have traditional surgery
COMPLICATIONS AND SIDE EFFECTS – ARE YOU HAVING THESE SYMPTOMS?
Complications include: recurrent urinary tract infections, yeast infections, Pudendal Neuralgia (including nerve damage and/or pain that radiates from the pelvis down the front of the legs), pelvic, abdominal and/or lower back pain, difficulty urinating, pain/burning with urination, issues with bowel movements, granulation tissue, abscesses, spotting, urinary leakage, bowel or bladder dysfunction, vaginal scarring, severe physical pain and altered pelvic anatomy, pain with intercourse, bleeding from mesh site, damage to nearby organs, urinary tract problems, recurrence of POP or SUI, mesh erosion into the vagina, bladder, intestines, and uterus, mesh shrinkage or contraction, mesh migration and mesh exposure. If you are having these symptoms, then you may also have the following, as a result of this defective mesh: repeat surgery(s) to have the mesh repaired or removed, blood transfusions, IV therapy, drainage of hematomas and a significant decrease in the quality of life. This is why you need to consult with an Alabama Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit Attorney.
TRANSVAGINAL MESH MANUFACTURERS AND PRODUCTS
- Johnson & Johnson (Ethicon): Prolene Mesh/Prolene Soft Mesh, Gynemesh, TVT, TVT-O, TVT-Secur, TVT Exact, TVT Abbrevo, Prolift, Prolift +M
- American Medical Systems: Apogee, Perigee, SPARC, Mini-Arc Single Incision Sling, Mini-Arc Precise Sling, Monarc Subfascial Hammock, Elevate with IntePro Lite, In-Fast Ultra with IntePro Lite/Synthetic Mesh, BioArc SP, MiniArc Sling System, Lite Pelvic Floor Repair Kit
- Boston Scientific: Pinnacle, Advantage, Obtryx, Lynx, Prefyx, Solyx, Posterior Uphold
- Bard: Align, Avaulta Biosynthetic Support Systems, Avaulta Solo, Avaulta Plus Support Systems, Pelvicol, PelviLace, PelviSoft, Pelvitex, Ugytex, Uretex
- Coloplast (includes Mentor’s mesh brands): ARIS TOT, NovaSilk
- Caldera Medical: T-Sling, Desara
- Cook Medical: Stratasis
- Tyco Healthcare: IVS
*****Contact Moore Law Firm today for a Free Consultation to speak to a Mobile Alabama Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit Attorney.*****