What are Proton Pump Inhibitors ?
Proton pump inhibitors are used to treat acid-related disorders of the upper gastrointestinal tract, including peptic ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, and for the prevention of gastrointestinal adverse events caused by non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and aspirin.
Proton Pump Inhibitors work to prevent ulcers and assist in the healing of ulcers in the esophagus, stomach or duodenum by reducing the production of acid in the wall of the stomach.
Proton Pump Inhibitor Side Effects
Proton pump inhibitor side effects include:
- Reduced liver function
- Reduced kidney function
- Proton Pump Inhibitor-induced acute interstitial nephritis (AIN)
- Clostridium difficile infection of the colon
- Low levels of magnesium (hypomagnesemia)
- Heart attacks
- Serious allergic reactions
- Osteoporosis-related fractures of the hip, wrist or spine
- Stevens Johnson Syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis
Proton Pump Inhibitors list
- Prilosec and Prilosec OTC (omeprazole)
- Nexium, Nexium IV, Nexium 24 HR (esomeprazole)
- Aciphex, Aciphex Sprinkle (raberprazole)
- Protonix (pantoprazole)
- Vimovo (esomeprazole magnesium and naproxen)
- Zegerid, Zegeid OTC (omeprazole and sodium bicarbonate)
- Prevacid, Prevacid IV, Prevacid 24-Hour (lansoprazole)
- Yosprala (aspirin and omeprazole)
- Dexilent, Dexilent Solutab – formerly known as Kapidex (dexlansoprazol)
Proton Pump Inhibitor Injuries
In 2017, a study published in the journal Kidney International found that people who used proton pump inhibitors were more likely to develop chronic kidney disease as a result of taking proton pump inhibitors than those who did not. In fact it stated that there was a 26 percent increased risk of chronic kidney disease. There have been numerous other studies that associate the proton pump inhibitors with an increased risk of kidney disease and potential death.
Proton Pump Inhibitor Lawsuit
Moore Law Firm is currently investigating Proton Pump Inhibitor injury/death claims. If you have taken one of the above listed Proton Pump Inhibitors and have developed kidney disease, kidney injury, kidney failure, acute interstitial nephritis or if a love one has passed a way as a result of a kidney condition after taking a Proton Pump Inhibitor then contact Mobile Alabama Proton Pump Lawsuit Attorneys at Moore Law Firm today for a free consultation 251-445-7602.